Friday, October 14, 2011
Wall Street Protest continue
The anti-Wall Street protesters on Friday plans was to clean up the park they have occupied for the past month were postponed.
Protesters, who had seen the plan to clean the park as a ploy to evict them, celebrated the decision. There were a handful of arrests, but not many disruptions.
Occupy Wall Street said in a statement, estimating that more than 3,000 people had gathered in the park.
Brookfield Office Properties, which manages the publicly accessible park, announced the sudden delay in the cleaning that had been set for early Friday morning.
New York police took at least seven people into custody when several hundred protesters left the park to march south through the financial district and north toward City Hall.
Many protesters feared the cleaning would be an attempt to shut down the movement that has sparked many protests in more than 1,400 U.S. cities. There were plans for global rallies on Saturday in 71 countries, according to Occupy Together and United for Global Change.
Protesters are upset that the billions of dollars in U.S. bank bailouts doled out during the recession allowed banks to resume earning huge profits while average Americans got scant relief from high unemployment and job insecurity.
They also believe the richest 1 percent of Americans do not pay their fair share in taxes.
In hopes of keeping out cleaning crews, protesters spent much of the night tidying the park themselves, using brooms, mops and buckets to clean up the park.
"We clean up after ourselves. It's not like there's rats and roaches running around the park," said Bailey Bryant, 28, an employee at a Manhattan bank who visits the camp after work and on weekends.
Brookfield has said conditions at the park were "unsanitary and unsafe," with no toilets and a shortage of garbage cans. Neighbors complained of lewdness, drug use, harassment and offensive odors from the protesters, Brookfield said.
Occupy Wall Street has portrayed Brookfield as part of the financial community that has cost average Americans job security and savings.
New York City Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway said in a statement that Brookfield "believes they can work out an arrangement with the protesters that will ensure the park remains clean, safe, available for public use and that the situation is respectful of residents and businesses downtown..."
In Denver, at least 21 people were arrested on Friday and tents were removed from the Occupy Denver protest after up to 100 demonstrators did not observe a curfew and leave a park by the state capitol.
Hundreds of people have been arrested at rallies in New York, and dozens have been arrested in the past couple of weeks in Boston, Washington, Chicago, Austin and San Francisco
Amanda Brumfield
(PEOPLE.com) -- Billy Bob Thornton's daughter, Amanda Brumfield, was sentenced to 20 years in prison Thursday after being convicted of aggravated manslaughter of a child in May, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
Brumfield was babysitting her goddaughter, 1-year-old Olivia Madison Garcia, who died while in her care in central Florida.
Brumfield, 32, was initially charged with murder in the child's death, but was found not guilty.
"I miss Olivia just as much as anybody does," she said at Thursday's sentencing before breaking down, according to the Sentinel.
Since her arrest, Brumfield said that the infant hit her head while trying to climb out of a playpen.
Olivia's mother, Heather Murphy, told the newspaper that the sentence was "more than I expected."
Brumfield's best friend, Christina Stewart, read a letter from Brumfield at the sentencing, according to reports.
"Olivia brought joy to our family from the moment she was born," Brumfield wrote. "Olivia always was, is and will be my little girl."
Brumfield was babysitting her goddaughter, 1-year-old Olivia Madison Garcia, who died while in her care in central Florida.
Brumfield, 32, was initially charged with murder in the child's death, but was found not guilty.
"I miss Olivia just as much as anybody does," she said at Thursday's sentencing before breaking down, according to the Sentinel.
Since her arrest, Brumfield said that the infant hit her head while trying to climb out of a playpen.
Olivia's mother, Heather Murphy, told the newspaper that the sentence was "more than I expected."
Brumfield's best friend, Christina Stewart, read a letter from Brumfield at the sentencing, according to reports.
"Olivia brought joy to our family from the moment she was born," Brumfield wrote. "Olivia always was, is and will be my little girl."
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Desperate woman steals pregnant woman baby
Prosecutors filed two homicide counts against Morales-Rodriguez Monday
accusing her of abducting Maritza Ramirez-Cruz and cutting a full term baby out of her womb before the scheduled delivery, killing both of them. Police said Annette
Morales-Rodriguez called 911 on Thursday saying that she had given birth at
home and that the baby wasn't breathing. Caught in her lies it was obvious to investigators that the story did not add up with baby being born. An autopsy and investigation
led police back Friday to the suspect's home, where they found the
23-year-old mother's body in the basement.
HIV + man having unprotected sex facing deadly charges
The women he went to bed with, 45 and 61, and became HIV positive.
The unknown 45-year-old was involved with Martina from May 2008 to June 2010, while the 61-year-old said she was the ex-cop from February to August, prosecutors said.
Martina retired from the Plainfield Police Department as the head of its narcotics and vice bureau in 2000. He served 28 years on the force.
In the1980s, he was accused of sexually harassing a female officer, who was later awarded $19,000 in a settlement, the newspaper reported.
He faces two counts of a diseased person committing an act of sexual penetration, and was held on $50,000 bail.
Somerset County Prosecutor Geoffrey Soriano urged anyone who has had sex with Martina in the past 10 years to see a doctor and contact the county's sex crimes and child abuse enforcement unit according to DailyNY.
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Cristian Fernandez may not get life in prison.
While David was in the hospital, police said Fernandez confessed to beating him. He also allegedly admitted to having broken his younger brother's leg in January.
Biannela Susana, the mother of the boys, is also in jail charged with
aggravated manslaughter. The 25-year-old initially told authorities she was at home when the
incident occurred, according to a police report. She later changed her story admitting that she
was not there at the time, and was told the toddler fell from a bunk
bed.Susana told police she tried to help the 2-year-old. According to the report, she
claimed she "changed his clothing, wiped him off, and put ice on his
head," police said. She did not immediately call 911, but drove the 2 year old to the hospital 2 hours later.
It seem that the real victim here was Cristian, he has had a history of abuse from his stepfather, who shot and killed himself in front of the boy last year.Biannela was only 12 years old when she gave birth to him, Mason said. The two
ended up in foster care together, and his grandmother was a drug addict.Susana's two other children, ages four and six,
have been placed in foster care.
Monday, October 3, 2011
Anxious Knox, goes free
The Italian court overturned the murder convictions of Amanda Knox, the 24 year old American and her former Italian boyfriend in 2007 for slaughtering her roommate, Meredith Kercher were both released.
Excitement went across the court room, while an overwhelmed Knox broke down and was escorted by police officers .
According to Reuters, Amanda was a nervous wreck who just collapsed. She wasn't able to say anything other than 'thank you' in a flood of tears," one of her lawyers Maria Del Grosso told reporters.
Deceased Kercher, had 40 wounds and a deep gash in throat was found in 2007 while rooming with Knox in the Umbrian hill town of Perugia where both were studying.
Both Knox and Sollecito, 27, consistently claimed their innocence throughout the original investigation and trial. A third man, Ivorian drug dealer Rudy Guede, was imprisoned for 16 years for his role in the murder.
While Knox family rejoiced, Kercher's family members sat shocked in the court due to release of Knox, Meredith's sister Stephanie was in tears.
"We respect the decision of the judges but we do not understand how the decision from the first trial could be so radically overturned," the Kerchers said in a statement released through the British embassy.
"We still trust the Italian judicial system and hope that the truth will eventually emerge."700 arrested in Brooklyn Protest
Police reopened the Brooklyn Bridge Saturday evening after more than 700 protesters were arrested for blocking traffic lanes and attempting an unauthorized march on the bridge.
"Over 700 summonses and tickets have been issued in connection with a demonstration on the Brooklyn Bridge late this afternoon after multiple warnings by police were given to protesters to stay on the pedestrian walkway, and that if they took roadway they would be arrested," a police spokesman said.
"Some protestors came together and took the walkway without being arrested. Others proceeded on the Brooklyn-bound road.
Most of those who were arrested were taken into custody off the bridge, issued summonses and released.
Witnesses described a chaotic scene on the famous suspension bridge as police officers surrounded the protesters using orange mesh netting.
Some protesters tried to get away as officers started handcuffing members of the group.
The march started about 3:30 p.m. from the protesters' camp in Zuccotti Park in downtown Manhattan near the former World Trade Center. Members of the group have declared to stay at the park through the cold winter.
According Reuters, friday evening, more than 1,000 demonstrators, including representatives of labor organizations, held a peaceful march to police headquarters a few blocks north of City Hall to protest what they said was a heavy-handed police response the previous week. No arrests were reported.
According to Reuters A police commander doused a handful of women with pepper spray in an incident captured on video and spread via the Internet, galvanizing the loosely organized protest movement.
Similar protests is catching fire in other cities, including Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.The arrests took place when a large group of marchers, participating in a second week of protests by the Occupy Wall Street movement, decided to breakaway from others on the bridge's walkway and headed across the Brooklyn-bound lanes.
Subscribe to:
Comments (Atom)